The long awaited update on Apple’s iPad mini series was first introduced on March 18, 2019. With the device’s predecessor having come out as far back as 2015, surprisingly enough, the exterior of the new model remained almost identical to its 4th generation sibling. With the exception of screen size, the iPad mini 5 (2019) appears to be of extreme similarity to the released alongside it 10.5-inch iPad Air. Its 2048 x 1536 display makes the latest iPad mini Apple’s smallest tablet to date. The newest iPad mini remains the Touch ID Home button together with the headphone jack, still charging via Lightning, unlike the newest iPad Pro models requiring USB-C.
iPad mini 5 (2019)
Despite the definite exterior similarities, the iPad mini 5 (2019) undoubtedly offers a better display paired with improvingly fast internals than its predecessors. Such improvements include, for instance, innovative display technology like True Tone, wide color support, and a 25% brighter display.
Presented in the usual range of Black and Space Gray, White and Silver, and White and Gold cases, the iPad mini comes equipped with either 64 GB or 256 GB of flash memory. As is the case with the previous iPad mini models, the customer is offered a choice of the device providing either Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi and Cellular connectivity options.
As claimed by Apple, the 2019 model can be expected to provide “three times the performance and nine times faster graphics” than the previous 2015 4th generation iPad mini.
|Official Name||iPad mini 5 (2019)|
|Network||Technology||GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE|
|Note||– Wi-Fi + Cellular model only
– Check network compatibility for your country
|Launch||Introduced||March 18, 2019|
|Body||Dimensions||8.0 x 5.3 x 0.24 in (203.2 x 134.8 x 6.1 mm)|
|Weight||– 0.66lb (300.5g) (Wi-Fi)
– 0.68lb (308.2g) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Build||Gold, silver, or space gray aluminum housing|
|SIM||Nano-SIM and e-SIM|
|Features||Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)|
|Display||Type||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Resolution||1536 x 2048 pixels, 4:3 ratio|
|Pixel Density||~ 324 ppi|
|Protection||Scratch-resistant glass, fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating|
|Features||– Wide color display (P3)
– True Tone
– Stylus support
|Chipset||Apple A12 Bionic (7 nm)|
|CPU||Hexa-core (2×2.5 GHz Vortex + 4×1.6 GHz Tempest)|
|GPU||Apple GPU (4-core graphics)|
|Memory||Internal||64/256GB, 3GB RAM|
|Camera||Main (Back)||8 MP, f/2.4, 31mm (standard), 1.12µm, AF|
|Video||1080p @ 30fps, 720p @ 120fps, HDR, stereo sound rec.|
|Selfie (Front)||– 7 MP, f/2.2, 31mm (standard)
– Face detection, HDR, panorama
|Sound||Alert types||Alert types Vibration, proprietary ringtones|
|Loudspeaker||Yes, with stereo speakers|
|Features||Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic|
|Comms||WLAN||WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, dual-band, hotspot|
|Bluetooth||5.0, A2DP, EDR|
|GPS||Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS (Wi‑Fi + Cellular model only)|
|USB||2.0, proprietary reversible connector|
|Features||Battery||Built-in 19.1-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery|
|Sensors||Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, compass, barometer|
|Messaging||iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email|
|– Siri natural language commands and dictation
– iCloud cloud service
– MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player
– MP4/H.264 player
– Audio/video/photo editor
– Document editor
|Misc||Colors||Silver, Gold, Space Gray|
|Price||Starting at $399|
- Powered by an Apple A12 Bionic processor, Apple officially supports 3GB of RAM.
- A valuable feature of the latest iPad mini 5 (2019) is its dual cameras, those including the rear-mounted 8 megapixel “iSight” camera supporting 1080p HD video and its front-mounted 7 megapixel “FaceTime HD” camera capable of shooting both stills and 1080p HD video.
- The 5th Generation iPad mini, alongside the other iPads, features the all-day battery, claimed to last up to 10 hours (this statistic varies accordingly from task to task performed by the device).
- In regards to the device’s connectivity, much like the iPad Air, the mini device is configured with two speakers, dual microphones, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Gigabit class LTE on cellular models and eSim technology.
- The iPad mini 5 also finally provides support for the first generation Apple Pencil.
- The iPad mini 5 (2019) has been generally well received among its reviewers and praised for its powerful and notably improved internals. The major discontent concerning the latest mini device seems to circulate around Apple’s inability to have innovated the external design of the tablet alongside its hardware features.
- All-new iPad Air and iPad mini deliver dramatic power and capability – Apple
- iPad mini – Apple
- Where can you trade in your old iPad mini 5 (2019) for the best price online – iGotOffer
New iPad mini 2019 – Unboxing and Overview [Video]
Video published by zollotech on March 27, 2019