The iPhone 6 is the successor to Apple’s previous smartphone models the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s. The new model, which included numerous changes, set several sales records and was extremely successful with the customers. The new generation of Apple’s famous smartphone was also offered in a “Plus” version with a 5.5” display.
Introduced on September 9, 2014.
- Processor: Apple A8.
- Onboard RAM: 1 GB.
- Storage Capacity: 16, 64, and 128 GB.
- OS: Pre-Installed OS: iOS 8.0 (12A365). Maximum OS: Current.
- Usage Time: Standby Time – 250 Hours. Up to 50 hours of audio playback. 14 hours of talk time on 3G. 10 hours of Internet use on 3G. 10 hours of Internet use on LTE. 11 hours of Internet use on Wi-Fi. 11 hours of video playback and 250 hours of standby time.
- Display: 4.7” display with 750×1334 resolution at 326 ppi.
- Connectivity: Built-in support for Wi-Fi. USB. Dock and headphone ports.
- Audio Support: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps). Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), He-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2,3,4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.
Rear Camera: Sony Exmor RS. 8-MP with 1.5 focus pixels.
- Front Camera: 1.2 MP (1280×960 px max).
- Video Support: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
- Dimensions: 5.44 in height, 2.64 in width, 0.27 in depth.
- Average Weight: 4.55 oz.
- Accessories: Shipped with Apple EarPods headphones with Remote and Mic, Lightning to USB cable, and a USB power adapter.
- Battery: Lithium Ion battery. Non-removable Li-Po 1810 mAh.
- Colors: Silver, Gold, Space Gray.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MG4P2LL/A. Apple Model Number: A1549.
Discontinuation: Still available.
Initial Price: US$199 (16 GB), US$299 (64GB), US$399 (128GB).
- Pre-orders of the iPhone 6 set a record for Apple – the pre-orders exceeded four million within the first 24 hours of its announcement.
- Release sales set yet another Apple record by having sold over ten million devices in the first three days of sales.
- Apple’s representatives said that the design of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models have been influenced by that of the iPad Air with a glass front that is curved around the edges of the display, and an aluminum rear that contains two plastic strips for the antenna. Both models come in gold, silver, and “space gray” finishes.
- The power button was moved to the side of the smartphone instead of the top in order to accommodate the larger physical size of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. It also improved its accessibility.
- When released, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were supplied pre-loaded with iOS 8 (while the iPhone 5S was supplied pre-loaded with iOS 7).
- On this iPhone, apps are able to take advantage of the increased screen size in the models to display more information on-screen; for example, the Mail app uses a dual-pane layout similar to its iPad version when the device is in landscape mode on the iPhone 6 Plus.
- Both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus received positive reviews. Experts regarded improved design, specifications, camera, battery life as being important improvements over previous iPhone models. However, a few aspects of the design were also panned, including plastic strips on the rear of the device for its antenna that disrupted the otherwise metal exterior, and the screen resolution of the standard-sized iPhone 6 being lower than other devices in its class.
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have been the subject of several hardware issues, including most prominently, being susceptible to bending under pressure (a design flaw nicknamed “Bendgate”). A byproduct of this lack of rigidity was also noted, that is, the touchscreen’s internal hardware being susceptible to losing its connection to the phone’s logic board – this issue was nicknamed “Touch Disease”.
- On September 9, 2015, with the release of the iPhone 6S, Apple moved these models to the mid-range of the iPhone lineup. Thus Apple discontinued the 128GB versions of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus along with the gold version of both phones. However the 16GB and 64GB versions of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in silver and space gray remained available for sale at a reduced price.
- In June 2016, Apple faced a potential sales ban in China, as Shenzhen Baili, a Chinese device maker, alleged that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus infringed on its design patent.
- On October 3, 2014 9to5Mac claimed that certain iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users complained on social networking sites that the phone ripped off their hair when they held the phone close to their ears when making phone calls. Twitter users claimed that the seam between the glass screen and aluminum back of the iPhone 6 is to blame, with hair becoming caught within it.
- Some users also reported that 64 and 128 GB iPhone 6 models had experienced performance issues, and that some 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus models would, in rare cases, randomly crash and reboot. Business Korea reported that the issues were connected to the triple-layer cell NAND storage of the affected models. Triple-layer cells can store three bits of data per cell of flash, and are cheaper than dual-layer cell solutions, but at the cost of performance. Apple had planned to switch the affected model lines back to multi-layer cell flash, and address the performance issues on existing devices in a future iOS update.
- iPhone 6 was launched into the stratosphere on the balloon and also brought back magnificent pictures taken high above.
- Saving money for a new smartphone? Sell your iPhone for the best money. Instant Quote and Fast Payment!: Sell iPhone 6 online now.
The Verge reviews the iPhone 6, the biggest iPhone yet. How does the iPhone change when it gets bigger? Published on September 16, 2014