The iPhone 8 (PRODUCT) RED is the first smartphone by Apple made exclusively of durable glass in the front and back. The only metal detail is the edge band made of aerospace-grade aluminum and reinforced with steel. The iPhone 8 (PRODUCT) RED is engineered to endure dust and splashes of water (but not full water immersion) and qualifies a rating of IP67 under the IEC standard 60529.
Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus (PRODUCT) RED Full Information
This versions are now available for in-store pickup in most Apple Stores in the U.S. It’s a mid-cycle special edition released for charity purposes. A portion of the money earned by these iPhones sales, will go to support HIV/AIDS programs that will help provide counseling, testing and medicine helping to prevent the spread of HIV.
The IPhone 8 and 8 Plus (PRODUCT) RED have a lot of differences, including their box. The inscription and the logo are red, not black, and the leaflet inside follows the red-and-white pattern. The red iPhones of 2018 come with a charging unit, a Lightning-USB cord and AirPods all included in the box!
The rich red back panel is combined with a black faceplate that gives the all-glass smartphones an outstanding futuristic look. Apple seemed to listen to the fans’ complaints over the red body and white bezels last year. The logo and the encryption “iPhone (PRODUCT) RED on the back of the smartphones are metallic, not black. Depending on the angle, the apple logo can look black though.
Internally both the RED versions remain the same. Their highlights are the
A11Bionic processor that they share with the iPhone X and the capability of wireless charging. On the other hand, these iPhones lack FaceID and the TrueDepth camera. The TouchID and the Home button though can appeal to old school users or near-sighted people who have trouble unlocking their iPhone X’s without glasses or lenses in the morning.
General specifications of these versions
So, to sum up the benefits and drawbacks of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus (PRODUCT) RED:
- Color design, red back panel and black front face
- Wireless charging support
- Home button and TouchID
- No FaceID
- No TrueDepth camera
- No Animoji
- No edge-to-edge screen
A Few Details about this version
As you can see, both this versions of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are a good buy in 2018 even with its closest rival iPhone X in stores. Almost identical Geekbench scores aside, the iPhones of the eighth generation are the last ones with the classical form-factor. On the downside of it, it’s hard to choose a case for these smartphones. The savvy choice is the transparent case. Risky users may opt for no case at all but will choose to purchase Apple Care+ instead. Apple also offers a new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X Leather Folio.
This smartphone is a mid-cycle special edition released for charity purposes. A portion of the money earned by these iPhones sales, will go to support HIV/AIDS programs that will help provide counseling, testing and medicine helping to prevent the spread of HIV. It also comes in a white box with a red encryption and logo on it. The leaflet inside is also red and white.
The device is powered by a 64-bit “Apple A11 Bionic” processor. Apple A11 Bionic is the latest chipset by Apple and its’ six cores feature a 2+4 arrangement: two Monsoon performance cores and four Mistral high-efficiency ones for graphics support. The unprecedented number of graphic cores only allows to install just 2 GB of RAM. The IPhone 8 (PRODUCT) RED has two internal storages available: 64 GB or 256 GB of flash storage. The communication standards include 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, LTE (4G), and NFC for Apple Pay.
The iPhone 8 (PRODUCT) RED features a 4.7-inch widescreen multi touch IPS display called “Retina HD”. Its highlights are the “True Tone” and the 1334 x 750 native resolution.
This new smartphone by Apple has dual cameras. The back camera is a 12-megapixel 4K camera with optical image stabilization, a f/1.8 aperture, a 6-element lens, and wide color capture. The front camera is a 7-megapixel “FaceTime HD” camera with 1080p video support. Both cameras support motion tracking and offer augmented reality support.
This smartphone unfortunately does not feature Face ID. Its’ primary ID procedure is the fingerprint scanner installed into the Home button, that is now made ‘clickless’.
The estimated audio playback time for IPhone 8 (PRODUCT) RED is up to 40 hours while talk time is 14 hours. Browsing will last for 12 hours while wireless video playback can last 13 hours. The glass back panel allows the capability to charge your phone battery wirelessly using a charging Qi standard mat.
- Network: GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE.
- SIM-card: Nano-Sim.
- Codename: iPhone 8.
- Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz.
- Processor type: Apple A11 Bionic.
- Cores: 6 (2x Monsoon + 4x Mistral).
- Graphics core: Apple GPU (three-core graphics).
- On-Board RAM: 2 GB.
- Internal Memory: 64 GB, 256 GB.
- Display: LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors.
- Size: 4.7 inches (~65.4% screen-to-body ratio).
- Resolution: 750 x 1334 pixels (~326 ppi pixel density).
- Multitouch: Yes.
- 3D Touch display: Yes.
- Home Button: Yes.
- Protection: Ion-strengthened glass.
- Oleophobic Coating: Yes.
- Back camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS, quad-LED (dual tone) flash.
- Features: Geo-tagging, simultaneous 4K video and 8MP image recording, touch focus, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama).
- Video: 2160p@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps.
- Front camera: 7 MP, f/2.2, 1080p@30fps, 720p@240fps, face detection, HDR, panorama.
- Sound Alert types: Vibration; proprietary ringtones.
- Loudspeaker: Yes, stereo.
- 3.5mm jack: No (Lightning adapter available).
- Features: active noise cancellation with dedicated mic.
- Connectivity: WLAN, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot. Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO.
- NFC: Apple Pay only.
- USB: 2.0, reversible connector.
- Wireless Payment: Apple Pay.
- Radio: No.
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer.
- Messaging: iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email.
- Browser: HTML5 Safari.
- Java: No.
- Preinstalled software: MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player, MP4/H.265 player, audio/photo/video editor, document editor.
- Peripheral support: Apple Watch series 1, 2, 3; AirBuds.
- Voice Control: Siri natural language commands and dictation.
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 1821 mAh battery.
- Fast Battery Charging: 50% in 30 min.
- Wireless Charging: Qi wireless charging.
- Talk time: Up to 14 h (3G).
- Music/Video Play: Up to 40 h.
- Color: Red.
- Preinstalled OS: iOS 11.0 (15A372).
- OS max. upgrade: current.
- Dimensions: 5.45 x 2.65 x 0.29 Weight: 5.22 oz.
- Body Protection: IP67 certified – dust and water resistant.
- Launch: April 2018.
- Dimensions: 5.45 x 2.65 x 0.29.
- Weight: 148 g (5.22 oz).
- Capacity: 64/256GB, 2GB RAM.
- Color: Red (back panel) and black (face front).
- Front Panel: Flat and made of glass with curved edges.
- Back Panel: Glass and there’s an anodized aluminum band around the frame.
- SIM tray: On the right side that holds a 4FF (short for “fourth form factor”) or nano-SIM card.
- Serial Number: You will find it in the Settings menu.
- IMEI/MEID: + Etched on the SIM tray. The MEID is the first 14 digits of the IMEI. (Note: You can use the IMEI/MEID instead of the serial number).
Apple Model Numbers
- A1863 (EMC 3159), A1905, A1906 (Japan) (engraved on the back cover)
- Apple Order number: N/A.
- According to Deborah Dugan, (RED)’s CEO, Apple has donated $160 million in the last 11 years. These donations have helped purchase enough ARV medication to give 800 million days of life to HIV mothers and babies.
- Apple also offers a new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X Leather Folio.
- Apple introduces iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus (PRODUCT)RED Special Edition – Apple.
- Sell your iPhone 8 online – iGotOffer.
Apple iPhone 8 & 8 Plus (RED): Unboxing & Review [Video]
Video published by DetroitBORG on April 13, 2018