The Mac Pro Eight Core 2.26 (Early 2009/Nehalem) is powered by two Xeon E5520 processors. While remaining practically identical to the Early 2008 models externally, there are some major technical differences introduced to the new version, such as a faster architecture and a boosted by “Turbo Boost” processor speed.
Apple Mac Pro Eight Core 2.26 (2009/Nehalem)
Introduced on March 3, 2009.
- Processor: Xeon E5520 (Nehalem).
- Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz.
- Processor Type: Q. Core Xeon E5520 x2.
- RAM Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 ECC.
- Standard RAM: 6 GB.
- Video Card: GeForce GT 120.
- VRAM Type: GDDR3 SDRAM.
- Storage: Up to 8TB of internal storage in hard drive bays 1 through 4 using hard drives in the following capacities: 640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 16MB cache; 1TB or 2TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 32MB cache; optional Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB cache and 72-hour cache battery backup; 18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW); Writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 18x speed; writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 8x speed;Writes DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed; writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed; reads DVDs at up to 18x speed; writes CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 32x speed; reads CDs at up to 32x speed (1GB = 1 billion bytes and 1TB = approximately 1 trillion bytes; actual formatted capacity less).
- Display Support: Up to eight displays (to perform with eight displays, this the model requires installation of four NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics cards)
- Resolution Support: 2560 x 1600.
- Standard Hard Drive: 640 GB.
- Connectivity: Standard AirPort 802.11a/b/g/n (optional). Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. USB Ports (5). Firewire Ports. Note that wireless Internet access requires a wireless access point and Internet access; fees may apply.
- OS: Pre-installed MacOS: X 10.5.6. Maximum MacOS: x 10.11.
- Software (other than pre-installed Mac OS X Mac OS X 10.5.6): v10.6 Snow Leopard (it includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools).
iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand)
- Minimum Windows: XP SP2.
- Maximum Windows: 8.1.
- Acoustic Performance of the model: Declared noise emissions in accordance with ISO 9296.
- Dimensions: 20.1 in height, 8.1 in width, 18.7 in depth.
- Average weight: 8-core – 41.2 pounds; quad-core – 39.9 pounds (Standard configuration. Actual weight can vary by configuration and manufacturing process).
- Electrical and operating requirements of the model: Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage). Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz single phase. Current: Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 6A (high-voltage range).
- Environmental conditions : operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C) and storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C). Relative humidity: 5% to 95% (noncondensing). Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet.
- Environmental Status Report: BFR-free. PVC-free (internal cables). Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure. The computer meets ENERGY STAR 5.0 requirements. Rated EPEAT Gold.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Number: MB535LL/A.
Apple Model Number: A1289.
Discontinuation: July 27, 2010.
Initial Price: $3299.
- The Early 2009/Nehalem models look the same externally as the Early 2008 models. Theere are major technical interior differences, though. The 64-bit Nehalem architecture is much faster and supports Hyper-Threading. This allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so MacOS X recognizes sixteen virtual cores on this model. It also allows Turbo Boost, which boosts the processor speed based on workload. This means that if an application is only using one of the eight cores it will automatically increase the speed of the core in use and turn off the unused cores). In fact, praised by many as Apple’s most customizable computer, the Mac Pro rivals or even surpasses in many cases surpasses the performance of the similar iMac models. The elegant aluminum case design maintains Apple’s trademark stylish professionalism.
- According to Apple, the company developed and recommended the following accessories for this model: Apple LED Cinema Display; Time Capsule; AirPort Extreme Base Station; AirPort Express Base Station; Apple Keyboard; Apple Wireless Keyboard; Magic Mouse; AppleCare Protection Plan.
- Apple recommended the following Applications to be used with this Mac Pro model: Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Express, Aperture. Logic Pro, Logic Express, Mac OS X Server v10.5 (10-client license), Mac OS X Server v10.5 (Unlimited-client license), Apple Remote Desktop, iWork.
- Apple performed the following upgrades to is Apple Mac Pro Eight Core 2.26 (2009/Nehalem): 1GB Memory Kit; 2GB Memory Kit; 4GB Memory Kit; 640GB SATA Drive Kit; 1TB SATA Drive Kit; 2TB SATA Drive Kit; Promise 450GB SAS Drive for Mac Pro; Mac Pro RAID Card; ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit Apple Dual-Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card; Apple Quad-Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card.
- By default, the system is shipped with a single 640 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive. Still, Apple formally supports up to 8 TB of storage with four 2 TB hard drives.
- Apple officially supports 32 GB of RAM, but it was later discovered that it is capable of using 64 GB of RAM if MacOS x 10.6 is booted in 64-bit mode.
- On this model, by default, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory was installed in a double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot. It has both a Mini DisplayPort, as well as a dual-link DVI port.
- By custom configuration, the Mac Pro Eight Core 2.26 also was available with as many as four NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics cards (for US$150/each after the first one) or an ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512 MB of GDDR5 memory, for an additional US$200.
- The most efficient way to recycle the Mac Pro you don’t need anymore : Sell it to iGotOffer for the best price on online market: Sell MacPro now.