The iPod family is a line of media digital players and small pocket computers designed marketed by Apple. There are three current versions of the iPod: iPod shuffle, iPod nano and iPod touch. The forth model, iPod classic was discontinued by Apple). Their storage capacity varies by model, ranging from 2 GB for the iPod shuffle to 128 GB for the iPod touch.
You can identify your iPod by its shape, size, functionalities, capacity, color, engravings and so on, but you can easily find out which model you have by the corresponding iPod model number:
iPod Touch Model Numbers
- iPod touch (3rd generation): you can distinguish from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number.
- iPod touch (2nd generation): you can distinguish from the previous model by its contoured design and oval shaped antennae cover in the back upper left corner.
iPod Nano Model Numbers
|iPod Nano Generations||Model Number|
|iPod Nano 7th generation||A1446|
|iPod Nano 6th generation||A1366|
|iPod Nano 5th generation||A1320|
|iPod Nano 4th generation||A1285|
|iPod Nano 3rd generation||A1236|
|iPod Nano 2nd generation||A1199|
|iPod touch iPod nano (iPod nano 1st generation)||A1137|
- iPod nano (5th generation): you can distinguish from previous iPod nano models by its taller screen when compared to iPod nano (4th generation), polished anodized aluminum finish, inclusion of a camera and microphone on the back of the device.
- iPod nano (4th generation): you can distinguish from previous iPod nano models by its taller screen, curved surface, oval shape when seen from the top or bottom, inclusion of an accelerometer that is used by the Shake feature.
- iPod nano (3rd generation): you can distinguish from previous iPod nano models by its wider screen, hold switch is on the bottom, ability to play video. The last three characters of the serial number will be one of these: YOP, YOR, YXR, YXT, YXV, or YXX.
- iPod nano (2nd generation): you can distinguish the from other models by its smaller size, its colors, and the located of the dock connector and headphone port, which are both located on the bottom of the device.
iPod Shuffle Model Numbers
|iPod Shuffle Generations||Model Number|
|iPod Shuffle 4th generation||A1373|
|iPod Shuffle 3rd generation||A1271|
|iPod shuffle 2nd generation||A1204|
|iPod shuffle (1st generation)||A1112|
- iPod shuffle (2nd generation): the last three characters of the serial number will be one of these: 1ZH, 1ZK, 1ZM, 1ZP, or 1ZR.
iPod Mini Model Numbers
|iPod Mini Generations||Model Number|
- iPod mini is distinguished from other models by its smaller size, colors, the Hold switch, which is located on the top-left side and the Click Wheel’s button labels, which are located on the wheel itself.
iPod Classic Model Numbers
iPods classic are also known as just iPods and they have different versions, such as iPod classic, iPod (5th generation), iPod Special Edition U2, iPod Photo, iPod with color display, iPod (Click Wheel), iPod (Dock Connector), iPod (Touch Wheel), iPod (Scroll Wheel).
|iPod Classic Models||Model Number|
|iPod classic (including iPod 5th generation)||A1238|
|Special Edition U2 (2006)||A1136|
|Special Edition U2 (2005)||A1099|
|iPod photo (with color display)||A1099|
|iPod (Click Wheel)||A1059|
|iPod (Dock Connector)||A1040|
|iPod (Touch Wheel)||A1019|
|iPod (Scroll Wheel)||M8541|
- iPod classic (including iPod 5th generation): the last three characters of the serial number will be one of these: Y5N, YMU, YMV, or YMX.
- iPod (5th generation) is also known as iPod with video or Fifth Generation iPod. The last three characters of the serial number will be one of these: V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, or X3N.
- iPod 5th Generation U2 Special Edition: serial number’s last three characters are W9G.
- iPod photo models are functionally and visually identical to the iPod with color display, and have the same model number, so these models are interchangeable, but by some internal reasons Apple distinguishes them as two different models.
- iPod (Scroll Wheel) is the only device in this line where the iPod model number starts with the letter M, not the A.
- Sell your used iPod for the best price online on the market: Sell my old iPod today!