Developed and marketed by Apple Inc., the 9.7-inch iPad Wi-Fi only (2017) and the 9.7-inch iPad Wi-Fi+Cellular (2017) are the models that replace the iPad Air 2 as the budget tablet computer. Being a carbon copy of the iPad Air in the design, height, and screen size, it is also cheaper, and heavier than its predecessor, the iPad Air 2 but a way more powerful. Both the 9.7-inch iPad 5th generation (2017) models feature the brand new chip Apple A9X together with the motion co-processor Apple M9, two storage options – 32GB and 128GB – and the 2GB of RAM and the Retina 2k display.
iPad 5th Generation (2017) Wi-Fi+Cellular and Wi-Fi Only
The connectivity of the Wi-Fi only model is limited to Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2. The connectivity of the Wi-Fi+Cellular version includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, GSM / HDSPA, GSM / EDGE, CDMA, LTE. The tablet supports HD video and Dolby sound and runs on iOS 10.3. The Apple Pencil is available at an extra cost.
- Announced on March 21, 2017
- Released on March 24, 2017
- Processor: System in a chip Apple A9X. GPU Octa-core PowerVR GPU.
- Motion coprocessor: Apple M9.
- CPU: 1.85 GHz dual-core 64-bit ARMv8-A “Twister”.
- Onboard RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 of RAM.
- Storage: 32GB, 128GB of flash memory storage.
- OS: iOS 10.3.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi only model: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2. Wi-Fi+Cellular model: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GSM UMTS / HSDPA 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz GSM / EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, CDMA CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A and B. 800, 1900 MHz, LTE Multiple bands A1567: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29 and TD-LTE 38, 39, 40, 41.
- Support: Mac Support: Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. Windows Support: Windows XP SP2/Vista/7/8.
- Audio Support: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV, user-configurable maximum volume limit.
- Video Support: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 5.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Prole with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov le formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi le format.
- Input: Multi-touch screen, headset controls, M9 motion co-processor, proximity and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, Touch ID fingerprint reader, barometer.
- Controller input: PnP.
- Display: 9.7-inch 2048×1536 (264ppi) 4:3 aspect ratio fully laminated LED-backlit IPS display. Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Antireflective coating.
- Cameras: Rear camera: 8.0 MP AF, iSight with Five Element Lens, Hybrid IR filter, video stabilisation, face detection, HDR, ƒ/2.4 aperture. Front camera: 1.2 MP, 720p HD, ƒ/2.2 aperture.
- Ports: Lightning connector, headphone.
- Battery: Lithium Polymer battery (32.4 Whr).
- Battery Life: approximately 10 hours.
- Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.67 x 0.30 inch.
- Average weight: Wi-Fi model: 1.034 lb. Wi-Fi + Cellular model: 1.054 lb.
- Colors: silver, gold, space gray.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model Identifier:
- A1822 (EMC 3017) – Wi-Fi only model
- A1823 (EMC 3108) – Wi-Fi/Cellular model
Wi-Fi Only model:
- MP2G2LL/A – configuration in white/silver with 32GB of storage
- MP2J2LL/A – configuration in white/silver with 128GB of storage
- MPGW2LL/A – configuration in white/gold with 32GB of storage
- MPGW2LL/A – configuration in white/gold with 128GB of storage
- MP2F2LL/A – configuration in black/space gray with 32GB of storage
- MP2H2LL/A – configuration in black/space gray with 128GB of storageff
- MP252LL/A – configuration in white/silver with 32 GB of storage
- MP2E2LL/A – configuration in white/silver with 128 GB of storage
- MPGA2LL/A – configuration in white/gold, with 32 GB of storage
- MPGC2LL/A – configuration in white-gold 128 GB of storage
- MP242LL/A – configuration in black/space gray with 32 GB of storage
- MP2D2LL/A – configuration in black/space gray with 128 GB of storage
- March 27, 2018.
- 32GB models – $449
- 128GB models – $559
- These iPad 5th generation (2017) models have the same chassis design as the old 9.7-inch iPad Pro, with the same edges curving gently to the back of the device. This chamfered edge has a slightly brushed matt finish, as opposed to the mirror shine on previous iPads of this design, but it’s otherwise essentially the same.
- These models come with two speakers, like the Air 1 and 2 (not the four speakers users get on the iPad Pro 9.7-inch). The bottom speaker grills are the same as on the Air 2, as they are arranged in two single rows (unlike the double rows of the Air 1). Besides they are not as far apart as on the iPad Pro.
iPad 5th Generation
|Model Number||A1822 (Wi-Fi)|
A1823 (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
(on the back cover)
|Display Size||9.7 inches (Retina Display)|
|Dimensions||241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm (9.50 x 7.31 x 0.37 in) (Wi-Fi)|
241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm (9.50 x 7.31 x 0.37 in) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Weight||652 g (1.44 lb) (Wi-Fi)|
662 g (1.46 lb) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Capacity||32/128GB, 2GB RAM|
|Colors||Silver, gold, or space gray|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass|
|Back Panel||Aluminum housing|
|SIM tray||The micro-SIM tray is on the right side on iPad (Cellular model only)|
|Serial Number||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|IMEI/MEID||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|See also||Sell your iPad 5th generation online now|
- iPad 5th generation (2017) has no other moniker and is to replace the iPad Air 2. Obviously, Apple decided to quit the Air line and to introduce the budget tablet for “flat-out fun”. The lack of flash for the 8-megapixel rear camera spoils a great part of it, but the Retina 2K display (the same iPad Pros feature) makes up for it. The 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera supports 720p video and is great for FaceTime video calls.
- The iPad 5th generation (2017) is available starting March in more than 20 regions, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.
- In Denmark, India, Mexico, Norway, Russia, Turkey, and other markets the tablet was released in April 2017. Brazil, Taiwan and others followed from May 2017 onward.
- For this iPad the polyurethane Smart Covers are available in gray, white, blue, pink, and (Product)Red for $39 for an extra cost of $39.
- ARMv8-A “Twister” CPU was developed back then in 2011 and is used by Apple Inc. since iPhone 5S.
- iPad (5th generation) – Technical Specifications – Apple
- Apple iPad Support: Manuals, User Guides, iOS and Apple Accessories Information
- How to restore iPad mini – iGotOffer
- Get ready to sell your iPad online – iGotOffer
- Sell used iPad for the Best Price Online: Sell my iPad! Check our prices and sell now!
Apple iPad (5th Gen): Unboxing & Review [Video]
Unboxing and Review of the NEW 2017 5th Generation Apple iPad 9.7-inch – in all colors.
Video published by DetroitBORG on March 30, 2017