iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen 4 Gb
Released on on March 11, 2009 the iPod shuffle 3rd Gen was a step-back from the previous model. Just a small “chewing-gum format” case with no place for controls on it. Instead, the controls were integrated with the earphone cable. There are three control buttons in all: volume up\volume down and action. With the last a user can either choose between playlists or activate the brand-new iPod feature – VoiceOver. Apple titled the iPod shuffle 3rd Gen as the first player that talks to you. It can speak the names of songs, artists and playlist titles in 14 languages depending upon the language of a song on you playlist. The player also can voice the battery charge remained. Press and hold the action button for songs and artists and press and hold until the tone for playlists. This feature was to make up for the lack of the screen. The black and silver aluminum took place of vibrant living colors of the previous models, the storage capacity the same – 4 Gb. The clip for comfortable wear also remained.
iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen 4 Gb
Introduced on March 11, 2009.
- Processor Type: Samsung ARM.
- Storage capacity: 4 GB.
- Connectivity: USB.
- Mac support: Mac 10.4.11.
- Dimensions: 1.8 x 0.7 x 0.3 .
- Average weight: 0.38 oz.
- Navigation: Three buttons in the earphone cable.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Lithium ion battery provides 10 hours of playback.
- Colors: Silver, black.
How to Use the iPod Shuffle Controls
The simple three-way switch (OFF, play in order, or shuffle) on iPod shuffle and the buttons on the earphone remote make it easy to play songs, audiobooks, and audio podcasts on iPod shuffle, as described below:
- To turn iPod shuffle on or off: Slide the three-way switch (green shading on switch indicates iPod shuffle is on).
- To set the play order: Slide the three-way switch to play in order or shuffle.
- To reset iPod shuffle (if iPod shuffle isn’t responding or the status light is solid red): Disconnect iPod shuffle from the computer. Turn iPod shuffle off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on again.
- To find the iPod shuffle serial number: Look under the clip on iPod shuffle. Or, in iTunes (with iPod shuffle connected to your computer), select iPod shuffle under Devices in iTunes and click the Summary tab.
- To play or pause: Click the Center button.
- To change the volume Click the Volume Up or Volume Down button.
- To go to the next track: Double-click the Center button.
- To fast-forward Double-click and hold the Center button.
- To go to the previous track: Triple-click the Center button within 6 seconds of the track starting. Triple-clicking after 6 seconds restarts the current track.
- To rewind: Triple-click and hold the Center button.
- To hear song titles, artist names, and playlist names: To hear song titles, artist names, click and hold the Center button. To listen to your playlist names, keep holding, and release when you hear a tone; then click to select the playlist you want.
How to Connect and Disconnect iPod Shuffle
Connect iPod shuffle to your computer to sync songs and other audio files, and to charge the battery. Disconnect iPod shuffle when you’re done. Important note: Use only the USB 2.0 cable that came with iPod shuffle to connect it to your computer.
To connect iPod shuffle to the computer:
- Plug one end of the included USB cable into the earphone port of iPod shuffle, and the other end into a USB 2.0 port on your computer. Note: Charging or syncing iPod shuffle is faster if you connect it to a high-power USB 2.0 port. On most keyboards, the USB port doesn’t provide enough power to charge at optimal speed.
- The first time you connect iPod shuffle to your computer, iTunes helps you configure iPod shuffle and sync it with your iTunes library. By default, iTunes automatically syncs songs on iPod shuffle when you connect it to your computer. When iTunes is finished, you can disconnect iPod shuffle. You can sync songs while your battery is charging.
- If you connect iPod shuffle to a different computer and iPod shuffle is set to sync music automatically, iTunes prompts you before syncing any music. If you click Yes, the songs and other audio files already on iPod shuffle will be erased and replaced with songs and other audio files on the computer iPod shuffle is connected to.
To disconnect iPod shuffle:
It’s important not to disconnect iPod shuffle from your computer while audio files are syncing or when iPod shuffle is being used as an external disk. It’s OK to disconnect iPod shuffle if the status light is not blinking orange, or if you see the “OK to disconnect” message at the top of the iTunes window. Important: If you see the “Do not disconnect” message in iTunes or if the status light on iPod shuffle is blinking orange, you must first eject iPod shuffle before disconnecting it. Failing to do so may damage files on iPod shuffle and require you to restore iPod shuffle in iTunes. If you enable iPod shuffle for disk use, you must always eject iPod shuffle before disconnecting it.
To eject iPod shuffle:
- Click the Eject button next to iPod shuffle in the list of devices in iTunes. If you’re using a Mac, you can also eject iPod shuffle by dragging the iPod shuffle icon on the desktop to the Trash. If you’re using a Windows PC, you can also eject iPod shuffle in My Computer or by clicking the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the Windows system tray and selecting iPod shuffle.
To disconnect iPod shuffle:
- Detach the USB cable from iPod shuffle and from the computer.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation
Apple Order: MB867LL/A.
Apple Model No: A1271 (EMC 2262).
Discontinued: September 9, 2009.
- With all the magic the VoiceOver function still sounds poor and requires a forgiving ear. You have to get by with the Apple earbuds only, because of the built-in controls and the USB cable is too short. Besides, the controls are placed too close to a person’s ear and that has proved to be a trouble for active users.
- On the brighter side, iPod shuffle can download not songs but playlists.
- It can inform you when the battery charge drops to 50% or 25%.
- Do you want to trade in your old iPod shuffle for cash? We at iGotOffer buy your old gadgets for the best price online: Sell old iPod shuffle.
History of iPod Shuffle
Very old gadget, I remember my first iPod classic and my first Shuffle with a great part of nostalgy, if I can say that. Thank you for making me cry :-)).