The tablet computer iPad mini 3, also known as iPad mini 3 with Touch ID, was released by Apple Inc. in October 2014. This tablet of the third generation of iPad minis features the Touch ID fingerprint sensor compatible with Apple Pay. This model have the same outer shell design and hardware as that of the iPad Mini 2.
iPad mini 3
The iPad mini 3 new features are the addition of the Touch ID sensor compatible with Apple Pay. It also has different storage sizes and is available in space grey, silver and gold color.
- Announced on October 16, 2014.
- Released on October 22, 2014.
- Processor: System-on-chip (SOC) Apple A7 with 64-bit architecture. Apple M7 motion co-processor. CPU 1.3 GHz dual-core Apple Cyclone.
- OS: Pre-installed operating system: iOS 8.1. Current OS – iOS 9.3.2 (released on May 16, 2016).
- Memory: 1GB LPDDR3 DRAM.
- Storage: 16, 64 or 128 GB flash memory.
- Display: 64% Color 2048×1536 px (326 PPI), 7.9 in (200 mm) diagonal, 4:3 LED-backlit IPS LCD.
- Graphics: PowerVR G6430 (four cluster@450 MHz).
- Input: Multi-touch screen, headset controls, proximity and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, digital compass, dual microphone.
- Cameras: Front camera – 1.2 MP, 720p HD. Rear camera 5.0 MP AF, iSight with Five Element Lens, Hybrid IR filter, video stabilization, face detection, HDR, ƒ/2.4 aperture.
- Connectivity and networking: Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and MIMO. Bluetooth 4.0. Wi-Fi + Cellular: GPS & GLONASS. GSM UMTS / HSDPA. 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz. GSM / EDGE. 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz. CDMA. CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A and B. 800, 1900 MHz. LTE.
- Online services: App Store, iTunes Store, iBookstore, iCloud, Game Center.
- Built-in applications: Siri, an intelligent personal assistant and knowledge navigator, is integrated into the device and it can be activated hands-free. Camera, Photos, Messages, FaceTime, Mail, Music, Safari, Maps, Siri, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, Contacts, iBooks, Game Center, Reminders, Clock, Videos, Newsstand, Photo Booth and Podcasts. The Apple App Store allows users to browse and download applications made by various developers from the iTunes Store. Additional apps made by Apple itself are available for free download, which are iMovie, GarageBand, iTunes U, Find My iPhone, Find My Friends, Apple Store, Trailers, Remote, and the iWork apps (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers).The iPad Mini 3 can also sync content and other data with a Mac or PC using iTunes.
- Dimensions: 7.9 in height, 5.3 in width, 0.3 in depth.
- Average Weight: Wi-Fi: 0.730 lb. Wi-Fi + Cellular: 0.752 lb.
- Colors: In addition to colors used in iPad mini 2 (black glass front and Space gray aluminum back, white glass front and silver colored aluminum back), the iPad mini 3 was available in white glass front and a gold colored aluminum back.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Numbers:
- Configuration in white/silver with 16 GB of storage – MGNV2LL/A
- In white/silver with 64 GB of storage – MGGT2LL/A
- In white/silver with 128 GB of storage – MGP42LL/A
- In white/gold, with 16 GB – MGYE2LL/A
- In white/gold, with 64 GB – MGYE2LL/A
- In white/gold with 128 GB of storage – MGYK2LL/A
- Finally, in black/space gray, with 16 GB – MGNR2LL/A
- In black/space gray with 64 GB – MGGQ2LL/A
- In black/space gray with 128 GB of storage – MGP32LL/A
Discontinued: September 9, 2015. The iPad mini 3 was replaced by the iPad mini 4.
The iPad mini 3 with Wi-Fi:
- 16 GB: $399
- 64 GB: $499
- 128 GB: $599
The iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular:
- 16 GB: $529
- 64 GB: $629
- 128 GB: $729
- iPad mini 3 is equipped with the Touch ID sensor, which detects the user’s fingerprint and can be used instead of a passcode to unlock the iPad.
- Touch ID is compatible with Apple Pay and can be used to authorize purchases in online apps only with fingerprint verification, as opposed to entering passwords.
- Its 5MP iSight Camera is capable of recording 1080p HD video and a 1.2MP FaceTime HD Camera capable of recording 720p HD video.
- Apple has released a “camera connection kit” with an SD card reader, but it can only be used to transfer photos and videos to an iPad.
iPad Mini 3
|Model Number||A1599 (Wi-Fi)
A1600 (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Display Size||7.9 inches (Retina Display)|
|Dimensions||200 x 134.7 x 7.5 mm (7.87 x 5.30 x 0.30 in)|
|Weight||331 g (Wi-Fi)
341 g (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Capacity||16/64/128GB, 1GB RAM|
|Colors||Silver, space gray, or gold|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass|
|Back Panel||Aluminum housing|
|SIM tray||The nano-SIM tray is on the left side (Cellular model only)|
|Serial Number||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|IMEI/MEID||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|See also||Sell your iPad mini 3 online now|
- The iPad mini 3 was announced alongside the iPad Air 2.
- Although the iPad mini 3 tablet is not designed to make phone calls over a cellular network, users can use a headset or the built-in speaker and microphone to place phone calls over Wi-Fi or cellular using a VoIP application such as Skype.
- When the iPad mini 3 was released, its upgrades were considered very modest by most of experts.
- Apple iPad Support: Manuals, User Guides, iOS and Apple Accessories Information
- How to restore iPad mini.
- Getting Ready to Sell iPad online.
- If you want to sell your old iPad mini 3 and save money for a new gadget, don’t wait, sell it today to iGotOffer.com for the best price online: Sell iPad mini 3 fast for for top dollar.
iPad mini 3: Unboxing and Overview [Video]
Video published by DetroitBORG on Oct 24, 2014