The iMac is a series of Apple consumer desktop computers which were introduced by the electronic giant in August 1998 as the new millennium computers, designed with the internet in mind. The iMac was the most original new computer since the original Mac in 1984. It came in a stylish design, with translucent “Bondi Blue” plastics.
The iMac is perhaps the most famous computer, which started out as a colorful unit designed by Apple to re-relaunch itself into the computing market. But it has since evolved, and today it offers the large high-quality widescreen display, a very good space-saving option, an Apple Wireless Keyboard, a Magic Mouse and more (you can opt for a wired Apple Keyboard and/or for a wired Apple Mouse).
iMac Models and Versions
The very first iMac (iMac G3) had an egg-shaped look, It had a CRT monitor, enclosed by a colored, translucent plastic case. Its form was later updated.
- iMac G3 Original
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading 350 Hz Revision A 1999
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading DV 400 Hz Revision B 1999
- iMac G3 266 Hz Revision C 1999
- iMac G3 333 Hz Revision D 1999
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading DV 400 Hz in Indigo and Ruby (Summer 2000)
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading 350 Hz Indigo (Summer 2000)
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading DV+ 450 Hz (Summer 2000)
- iMac G3/500 (Summer 2001 – Indigo/Snow)
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading DV Special Edition 500 Hz (Summer 2000)
- iMac G3/500 (Early 2001 – Indigo/Flower Power/Blue Dalmatian)
- iMac G3 Slot-Loading DV 400 Hz (Indigo Early 2001)
- iMac G3/600 SE (Early 2001
- iMac G3/600 (Summer 2001 Graphite/Snow)
- iMac G3/700 SE (Summer 2001)
- iMac G3/700 Flat Panel 2002
It was the iMac G4, whose design changed for a hemispherical base and a LCD monitor, installed on a freely moving arm.
Next revision, the iMac G5 placed the components behind the display. This version created a slim unified design that tilts up and down on a metal base.
The Intel iMac (iMac Plastic) also placed the components behind the display. It also tilts up and down on a metal base.
- iMac “Core Duo” / 1.83 17-Inch
- iMac “Core Duo” / 1.83 17-Inch (IG)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.0 17-Inch
- iMac “Core Duo” / 2.0 20-Inch
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 1.83 17-Inch (IG)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.16 17-Inch CTO/BTO
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.16 20-Inch
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.16 24-Inch
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.33 24-Inch CTOBTO
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.33 20-Inch CTO/BTO
The iMac Aluminium, released in 2007, was thinner than the previous model, and the iMac Aluminium Unibody was more compact.
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.4 20-Inch (Al)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo Extreme” / 2.8 24-Inch (Al)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.4 20-Inch (Early 2008
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.66 20-Inch (Early 2008)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2008)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.8 24-Inch (Early 2008)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.0 20-Inch (Al)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.93 24-Inch (Early 2009)
- iMac "Core 2 Duo" / 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009)
- iMac “Core 2 Duo” / 2.66 20-Inch (Early 2009)
The iMac Slim was introduced in 2012. This model is even more thinner, and uses a different display unit, omits the SuperDrive, and uses different production techniques from the older unibody versions. This version was updated for new versions later, being equipped with new Haswell processors and more new features.
In 2014, the iMac Retina was announced.
The iMac has evolved through six different forms. All iMacs have included USB, and via the USB port they can use products compatible with both PCs and Macs.
Apple’s use of candy-colored plastics became very popular. These translucent desktop computers inspired many similar designs in other consumer devices.
The original iMac was the first Macintosh computer to have a USB port but no floppy disk drive. Previously, Mac users had to seek out certain hardware with MiniDIN-8 serial ports to work with PCs. Thus from now on hardware makers could make products compatible with both x86 PCs and Macs, using the USB port, USB being a cross-platform.
Before you sell used iMac: time to clean up!: Before you sell your iMac, you have to make it ready and good looking to sell. So make sure your old iMac is in sellable condition by cleaning the screen, the keyboard, the trackboard, and the case. We suggest you wipe down your old Macs you are getting ready to sell with terrycloth that's been sprayed with an alcohol-free lens cleaner.
- Today as Apple announces new models regularly, it may be a time to sell online your old iMac for the best price online offered by iGotOffer: Sell iMac.
Steve Jobs introduces the Original iMac at Apple Special Event (1998). Video uploaded by EverySteveJobsVideo, on December 21, 2012.